Sunday, September 02, 2007

‘Umar and the Eloquent Woman

Ash-Sha’bi (ra) reported that Ka’b Bin Sur was sitting with ‘Umar when a woman came and said, “O Ameer al-Mu’mineen! I have never seen a man better then my husband. By Allah, he prays the night and fasts the day.” Upon hearing this, ‘Umar praised the woman and supplicated for her, and she shyly departed. Ka’b then said, “O Ameer al-Mu’mineen! Shouldn’t you have considered her accusation against her husband, for she indeed was quite eloquent in her complaint!” ‘Umar replied, “Why do you not judge between them, for you have understood about her situation that which I did not.”
[After he judged], ‘Umar said, “By Allah, your first understanding (of her situation) is not more amazing then the second (the judgement). I hereby appoint you as judge over Al-Basrah, and indeed, you are a remarkable judge.”


Source: Recorded by Ibn Abi Shaybah and others
Taken from: Al’ ilmun Nafi’

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ما شاء الله !
جزاك الله خيراً
An excellent blog - I'll definitely be recommended it to friends and family, in shaa Allah.

Muhammad ahmal said...

I like the work you have done.Special thanks for the work. I'll request to provide more knowledge of such personalities.